The goal of most naturopaths is to work with the client to make individualized dietary and lifestyle changes that could reduce or eliminate symptoms prior to attempting the use of pharmaceutical drugs. The careful consideration of dietary needs, supplementation and other holistic alternatives such as acupuncture can positively impact health and well being in the patient without the negative side effects often associated with pharmaceutical drugs.
Note that the student clinicians are unable to accept patients with active ICBC or WCB claims at this time.
Naturopaths can treat all of the same chronic and acute conditions as traditional medical doctors, for example:
- preventing and treating colds & flu
- eczema, psoriasis
- weight loss
- mental health, stress, depression, and anxiety
- high blood pressure
Scope of practice:
• Diet and lifestyle counselling can be effective treatment options for a number of medical conditions and can help minimize the side effects that can occur with other types of treatments. Lifestyle counselling provides tools and motivation to accomplish personal goals to change behaviours and lifestyle habits.
• Targeted supplementation enhances the diet with special nutrients, vitamins, minerals, herbal extracts… to optimize health
• Herbal medicine uses plants (root, bark, leaf, flower, etc.) in different types of preparations (tea, decoction, tincture, salve, etc.)
• Naturopathic manipulation such as massage, physical therapy and structural realignment, is used to treat a variety of acute and chronic conditions.
• Acupuncture helps improve mind and body functioning by stimulating specific points on the body. Acupuncture treatments can be beneficial with a wide variety of health concerns. For Community acupuncture, wear loose clothing that can be rolled up to your elbow or knee.
• Homeopathic remedies are made from plants, animals and minerals and are a natural alternative to many conventional prescription and over-the-counter medications.
Naturopathic clinic open Wednesdays 5:30pm-8:30pm or Fridays 9:30am-4:30pm
Community acupuncture Fridays 9:30am-11:30am
Note: naturopathic clinic and community acupuncture operate on a staggered schedule, click here for dates